Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Edge Restaurant, Sooke, BC Canada


The Edge Hamburger, Swiss cheese, home made butter pickle strips, bacon and lettuce.



This is the most unique burger I have had in some time,


A Completely out of the box burger.
A completely fantastic burger.


First of all this thing is triangular. Who does that? Maybe Costco. It's funny how our minds are conditioned to branding and marketing. Isn't that wonderful? BTW, I've never had a Costco burger and it's not on my list. But I am a big fan of the "mechanically separated, chlorinated, mystery meat" 100% pure beef Costco hotdogs. Go figure!


The bun here is of course not a Costco bun, it's made by a local bakery and it works perfectly, just the right texture the right thickness.


The patty, to compliment the bun, is also formed into a triangle. The meat is AAA chuck ground in house and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, cumin, paprika and cayenne. The flavour even though this is beef totally reminded me of lamb kabobs I had at Vij's a while back. It's spicy, it's tasty, it's really unique, the triangular corners take on some yummy crispiness but the seasonings completely take over, so, if you are a burger purist and really like the taste of beef, this probably isn't the burger for you, but if you like originality and kick ass flavour then this burger is right down your ally. I thought it was fantastic; in fact, I'm drooling just thinking about lamb kabobs.. sorry I mean this burger right now. If I lived in Sooke I would be totally addicted to this thing.


My dilemma then is how do I rate this thing? Can you really truly call this a burger? And not just because of its shape but also because of the flavour. I'll describe this burgerish thing as a killer spicy flattened lamb kabob ground meat sandwich without the lamb. In my mind, on the basis of fresh everything, made in house everything and the flavour I have to go with 10/10 with a caveat. The caveat being that in the purest sense of the term this is really not a burger, so the "burger purest" probably would have issues with my rating. But if you want to step out of the burger box and into a tasty triangle of flavour head for the Edge restaurant in Sooke and enjoy the creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment