Thursday, April 12, 2012

Original Joe's Restaurant and Bar, Vernon BC

“Frozen Patties” the waitress replies somewhat ashamedly.



“But the meat comes fresh we portion it out and then freeze it and it’s not in the freezer long”.


Well then, that makes all the difference, if it's only in the freezer for a short period of time, sign me up! It’s the original Original Joes Burger for me, enhanced of course with bacon and avocado.



Original Joes is a chain, this one in the beautiful town of Vernon BC. In the whole chain hierarchy a step down from Earls but perhaps a step up from Boston Pizza. Does that make sense?


There motto gives you a good idea of their marketing positioning: Because you can’t get beer at a drive thru!


The burger is a step up from fast food for sure, but all in all a very average pub/grill restaurant burger, lets say 6.5/10. The bacon looked great, maybe that’s why they serve the burger open face but overall I couldn’t really hear it much in the orchestra of the burger. I think in this case the orchestra was playing a generic Britney Spears song from the days that she still had the cute factor and the avocado called in sick.

This was my first visit to Joe's. It is what it is. I’ll probably be back one day but I’m not in any great hurry.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your visit to Original Joe's and your blog post. We truly value the feedback that we receive from our guests, as we use it as a tool to continually adjust and improve. I would like to provide you with a couple of clarifications regarding our food which may not have been adequately explained to you at the store level.

    With regards to our burgers, we have developed a proprietary blend of Certified Angus Ground Chuck and our own spice deck. The burger blend is manufactured by one of our incredible partners to our exact specifications, then blast frozen prior to being delivered to the stores to lock in the moisture and freshness of the meat. Once the blend arrives at our locations, it is thawed out and the burgers are hand packed to order. We consistently get excellent feedback regarding the premium quality and freshness of our burgers.

    We pride ourselves on offering our guests unique, flavorful options that are made in the safest methods possible, with the vast majority of it being made from scratch within each of our restaurants. We focus our efforts on ensuring customer satisfaction and providing quality of food and beverage.

    If you have any further questions for us, please feel free to connect with me at any time.

    We look forward to serving you again at Original Joe's and thank you for your patronage.


    Kind Regards,

    Jordan Prescesky

    Director of Operations
    Original Joe's Franchise Group Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jordan:

    Thank you for your response to my post. I appreciate companies that care enough to get involved I think it shows a passion for the business and that’s never a bad thing. I’ll defiantly give you another look see soon, maybe check out your Kelowna location next time I’m in town for business.

    Reading my blog you may quickly get the impression that I’m a sarcastic bastard with definite biases.
    First and foremost for me it’s about the patty and quality of the meat. My preference in this order: organic, natural, generic ground beef and finally generic ground beef with pink slime. I place your burger in the generic ground beef category. Sure certified Angus ground beef sounds good but at the end of the day it’s just a marketing tool. Check out their website, 4.3 billion servings of hormone injected antibiotic laced beef sold yearly. Really, how much cache does Angus really have when I can buy an Angus burger at MacDonald’s and A&W?
    I don’t want to seem like I’m picking on you, I’m not; you are simply in the 98% of restaurants that all serve the same thing.
    Consider differentiating yourself; consider stepping up to a natural beef burger maybe as a special? I’d buy it. I think you would be surprised how many customers would as well.
    And if you do please let me know, I’ll be there ASAP.

    And BTW, I don’t care how you try and spin things “freezing to lock in flavour”, remember this simple rule: freezing things does not make them taste better. Never ever.

    I like my burgers with a beautiful pink middle. But then that’s a whole crazy discussion we can have for another time.

    I look forward to trying your burger in Kelowna.
    All the best,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete